Winter is officially over and we are very happy about it. It’s not quite time to put the winter coat away but perhaps it’s time to start thinking about your next trip. Some of you might have already made plans for a long and deserved holiday, but if you haven’t figured out where you’ll be going during Spring, then this blog post is perfect for you. We’ll suggest some close by destinations that you’ll be able to reach with short travel times and you won’t have to break the bank to get there.
Perfect destinations to fly to this Spring
So here we go, we’ve chosen destinations that you can get to in fewer than three hours by airplane. You can then keep the travelling time to a minimum and make the best out of your weekend or maybe a couple of days off.
1. Verona. +/- 3 hours with Ryanair, easyJet and British Airways
You can follow in the footsteps of Romeo and Juliet in charming Verona. The city is bursting with Baroque architecture and ancient buildings. One of the most interesting buildings is certainly the Opera House, an impressive amphitheatre that still inspires culture lovers with its atmosphere. Stroll through the alleys of the old town, enjoy one or two espressos and simply observe the hustle and bustle in the squares. Quintessential Northern Italy.
The pearl of Eastern Europe. We’ve been there and we agree that is one of Europe’s most underestimated destination. The beautiful old town has been declared a UNESCO Cultural Heritage Site and enchants visitors with its spacious palace square, the breath-taking royal palace and the unique St. John's Cathedral. The city is also at the forefront when it comes to green spaces and offers its inhabitants plenty of parks - the Łazienki Park, which also houses the statue of the famous composer Frédéric Chopin, is particularly beautiful. Let yourself be embraced by Polish culture, it’s a treat.
3. Stockholm. +/- 2 hours with Norwegian and SAS
Off to the far north! The capital of Sweden has long been a popular destination, and not only because of its delicious cinnamon snails. The city consists of many small islands, which are connected underground by the subway and above ground by bridges. The subway itself is also a fascinating sight, as most of the stations are decorated with various works of art and thus form the longest art gallery in the world. Impressive, isn't it?
Scotland's capital city is a thrilling destination for travellers with its incomparable medieval charm. The city centre consists of two parts: Old Town, with many historical sights and New Town, with hip cafés and shopping facilities. The absolute highlight is Edinburgh Castle, which towers over the city centre. The huge castle complex offers an incredible amount of things to discover and offers visitors a breath-taking view over the city and the surrounding lowlands. If you’ve never been; please, please, PLEASE book your ticket and do not miss out on this experience.
5. Lyon. +/- 2 hours with easyJet and British Airways
It doesn't always have to be Paris when you go to France. The charming Lyon, situated on the banks of the Rhône and the Saône, is less crowded but at least as beautiful! Renaissance-style buildings, narrow alleys, winding paths and cobblestones characterise the city centre. But the so-called Traboules make it unique. These are partly roofed paths that date back to the time of the Romans and were meant to change faster from one street to the next. No wonder why everyone is constantly getting lost. Lyon is also the perfect destination for all foodies, as no fewer than 20 restaurants were awarded the Michelin star in 2019.
We know that choosing a destination for your holidays can be complicated. We hope that with the information above, you’ll be able to sort it out quickly. If you have purchased your tickets already, or once you’ve done so, we have some extra information for you!
Travel tips and hacks for Spring 2019
These are the best recommendations our team could come up for 2019:
- Make a packing list! It makes your life so much easier
- Travel lightly, you probably (perhaps excluding Stockholm) won’t need that winter jacket anymore. Furthermore, it’s cheaper to travel only with a carry-on backpack or suitcase
- Citymapper is your friend. This app will help you with public transportation at your destination. If the city is not supported, make sure to download a map of it with Google Maps and you’ll be able to access it offline. You’ll be able to search for specific places but public transport information won’t be available.
- Ensure that you’ll be able to use your debit/credit cards abroad. We can’t stress this enough
- Always consider getting travel insurance
- Survive spring by bringing your own antihistamine along. Not allergic? Perhaps you’ll be able to help out a fellow traveller.
- Remember, you are entitled to claim compensation for flight delays, cancellations and overbookings. We can help you with that.
To recap, take into account our recommendations above and head to one of our favourite destinations for spring 2019:
If your flight has been delayed or cancelled and you are not sure if you are entitled to compensation, you can check it for free with us. Afterwards, you can decide if you want Flight-Delayed to manage your claim. We will not let the airline refuse your compensation without the necessary proof. Best of all, our 25% rate covers absolutely all possible expenses - claim your compensation and exercise your rights!
Trustpilot-Reviews of Flight-Delayed.co.uk